I’ve teamed up with Artist Kit Martin to bring you this blue themed workshop, which combines cyanotype printing & bookbinding techniques, resulting in a collection of unique books with decorative stitching.
For the spring edition of this workshop we share our step by step instructions with you via a series of video tutorials accompanied by a special Zoom live welcome event from 6-7pm on 1 April and a follow up sharing event 6-7pm on 18 April (UK time), where you can ask questions, see examples, and get inspired to get making.
*Please note: these Zoom sessions are optional, if you can’t attend this will not affect the workshop, a recording can be sent upon request.
Kit will introduce the cyanotype process and guide you in creating a range of eye-catching prints onto paper, working with found materials, such as foliage, lace and feathers. I will then show you how to make a hardback book with decorative triple chain stitch and envelope insert, plus a bundle of single chain stitch notebooks with the option to incorporate your prints into the cover and/or inside pages. The videos can be worked through at your own pace and you will have continued access.
We are creating a limited edition of kits to accompany this workshop – they contain 4 pre-coated cyanotype papers and additional materials to make one A6 hardback book and three soft cover notebooks with decorative stitching. Kits will be posted out mid/end of March to ensure they reach you in time for our Zoom welcome event on 1 April.
There is also the option to purchase access to the workshop without a kit, see below.
- Our Spring edition of kits that accompany this workshop are now *SOLD OUT* – it is likely that we will restock and make more available later in the year, with a Zoom welcome and sharing event to coordinate with this – sign up to my mailing list to receive updates.
- If you would like to source your own materials, there is the option of buying access to the online workshop without a kit, see information on this below…
Purchasing access to online workshop, no kit
There are two options here – you can purchase access to both the cyanotype and bookbinding tutorials or purchase access to the bookbinding tutorials as a stand alone – a good option if you are already familiar with cyanotype printing process.
Upon purchasing you will be given access to a PDF download, which includes info on where to source materials, specific measurements and advice on how to scale up and down to produce books of different sizes, plus, a list if useful resources. Below is an overview of what tools/materials you will need to follow the workshop –
Materials / tool list:
- Tools: Awl / Bone folder / Pencil / Bookbinding needle / Scissors / Cutting mat
- Waxed linen thread or waxed embroidery thread on a blue theme
- Greyboard or mountboard (2-5mm thick)
- Blue book cloth
- UHU glue
- A4 white paper cut on the long edge – I use 170gsm recyled paper
- A5 copy paper
- Decorative paper to incorporate into the cover and add details
- Cyanotype paper, A5 X3, either ready-coated or coated yourself (if doing yourself you will need the cyanotype chemicals)
- Sheet of glass or picture frame to hold down your print while exposed to light
Cyanotype & Bookbinding video tutorials
Access to step-by-step video tutorials by Kit and Cass that cover the cyanotype printing process and how to create a hardback book with triple chain stitch binding, plus a collection of single chain stitch notebook. Inc. full tool/materials kit list. If purchased prior to 1 April, you will also receive an invite our Zoom welcome event on 1 April and sharing event on 18 April. *Please note: one log in per purchase.
Chain stitch bookbinding video tutorials only
Access to step-by-step video tutorials by Cass that cover how to create a hardback book with triple chain stitch binding, plus a collection of single chain stitch notebooks. Comes with a full tool/materials kit list. Does not include cyanotype tutorials.
*Please note: you will receive log in details to access the online workshop within 48 hours.