Get to grips with Coptic Binding – a decorative stitch that makes for a great sketchbook, Artists Book, photo album and/or memory book.
Either buy the kit and tutorial, which comes with all the tools, instruction and materials you need to make two Coptic books – one A6 portrait and one A7 landscape (plus a teabag and biscuits to fuel your creativity) or, if you already have the tools/materials to hand or are based outside the UK, buy the video tutorial on its own. Scroll down to see what’s included and place your order.
Both options come with a downloadable PDF that covers how to scale up or down to make coptic bound books of different sizes.
Coptic Binding Kit & Tutorial
The kit comes with all materials and tools needed to make two books, including:
- Pre-cut Flat White paper, made from recycled coffee cups, great for watercolour, sketching and general note taking
- A selection of decorative papers, including, old maps, wallpaper samples, patterned papers and envelope cuttings
- Thread to bind your book and a specialist curved bookbinding needle
- Recycled greyboard for your book covers
- UHU glue
- All the tools you need to continue your bookbinding journey (it’s an addictive craft)
Upon purchasing a kit you will be sent exclusive access to an online video tutorial taking you step-by-step through the making process. This includes a bonus video and downloadable document which includes links to recommended suppliers, advice on sourcing tools and materials and information on how to scale up and down to make books of different sizes with the same binding.
* My Coptic Bookbinding kits are now sold out and will be restocked in 2021. Tutorial only option still available, see below.*
Coptic Binding Video Tutorial
Below is a list of tools and materials you will need to make the Coptic bound book in my video tutorial. It is up to you what size you make your book – the page size will determine the size of paper, card and length of thread you use. This is explained in a PDF that will be sent upon purchasing.
What you need:
– Bone folder / folding tool
– Scissors / rotary cutter
– Bulldog clips
– Thick card, 2-5mm thick for front and back cover
– Bookbinding thread / embroidery thread and beeswax
– Curved bookbinding needle
– UHU glue / PVA
– Decorative paper i.e. old maps, wrapping paper, wallpaper samples etc.
– Cork tile / old magazine
– Cutting mat / chopping board
– Plain paper: for A6 portrait Coptic Book – 24 sheets of 170gsm or similar in your preferred size
Coptic Binding – online tutorial