I’ve teamed up with Artist Kit Martin for this blue themed workshop, which shares techniques in cyanotype printing and bookbinding.
Via a series of step-by-step videos, Kit will introduce the cyanotype process and guide you in creating a range of magical blue prints onto paper. I will then show you how to make a hardback book with decorative triple chain stitch and envelope insert, plus a bundle of single chain stitch notebooks with the option to incorporate your prints into the cover and/or inside pages.
Kits for this workshop have now sold out but you can purchase access to the cyanotype and bookbinding video tutorials for £45 or just the bookbinding tutorials for £22.50. The tools/materials are readily available and can be sourced yourself – read on for kit list.
Materials / tool list:
- Bone folder
- Bookbinding needle
- Cutting mat
- Waxed linen thread or waxed embroidery thread on a blue theme
- Greyboard / mountboard (2-5mm thick) cut to 11×15.5cm X2
- Blue book cloth cut to 10 x 23cm
- Cyanotype paper, A5 X3, either ready-coated or coated yourself (if doing yourself you will need the cyanotype chemicals)
- Sheet of glass or picture frame to hold down your print while exposed to light
- Tray to wash your cyanotype print (a deep baking tray or Tupperware container will work)
- UHU glue
- 18 pieces of A4 white paper cut on the long edge – in the tutorial I use 170gsm paper
- 1 piece of A4 paper (170gsm)
- 3 pieces of A5 paper (170gsm)
- 30 pieces of A5 copy paper, decorative paper of choice to add details.
*Upon purchasing you will gain access to a PDF download, which includes info on where to source materials and advice on how to scale up and down to produce books of different sizes, as well as a list if useful resources.
Cyanotype & Bookbinding video tutorials
Access to step-by-step video tutorials by Kit and Cass that cover the cyanotype process (coating your paper, making and developing your prints) and how to create a hardback book with triple chain stitch binding, plus a collection of single chain stitch notebooks. Comes with a full tool/materials kit list. Please note: one log in per purchase.
Triple chain stitrch bookbinding tutorial
Access to step-by-step video tutorials by Cass that cover how to create a hardback book with triple chain stitch binding, plus a collection of single chain stitch notebooks. Comes with a full tool/materials kit list.