Get to grips with Coptic Binding – a decorative stitch that makes for a great sketchbook, Artists Book, photo album and/or memory book.
This popular bookbinding technique features a hard cover, decorative exposed stitching and visible spine. The book opens nice and flat and there are lots of opportunities to experiment with colour/pattern combinations on the cover, spine and inside decorative pages – a great book structure that you’ll come back to again and again.
There are a number of purchasing options available:
- Access to my tutorial only – log in details for my how-to videos, which includes a downloadable tools/materials kit list so you can source what you need for the workshop (scroll to bottom of the page for this option).
- Access to my tutorial, plus materials/tool kit – a specially curated kit posted to your door which includes all the materials and bookbinding tools you need to make 2 Coptic bound books, one A6 size and one A7.
- Access to my tutorial, plus materials kit (no bookbinding tools) – if you already have the tools required (awl, bone folder, ruler, punch board, bookbinding needle, clips) but are keen to receive one of my bountiful bookbinding kits then this is the one for you!
*All options come with a downloadable PDF that covers how to scale up or down to make coptic bound books of different sizes.
My Coptic Bookbinding kit comes with:
- Pre-cut Flat White paper, made from recycled coffee cups, great for watercolour, sketching and general note taking
- A selection of decorative papers, including, old maps, wallpaper samples and patterned papers
- Thread to bind your book and a specialist curved bookbinding needle
- Recycled greyboard for your book covers
- UHU glue
- Ribbons and button to try different fastenings
- All the tools you need to continue your bookbinding journey (it’s an addictive craft) – there is also the options to buy the materials without the tools if you already these
Upon purchasing a kit you will be sent exclusive access to an online video tutorial taking you step-by-step through the making process. This includes a bonus video and downloadable document which includes links to recommended suppliers, advice on sourcing tools and materials and information on how to scale up and down to make books of different sizes with the same binding.
Update – please read before making a purchase: I am currently doing a restock of my self-paced kits. This means you can still order but your kit will not be posted until the 17 June, this is partly due to a hold up with my usual paper supplier. I will be in touch to confirm your order and again when your kit is in the post. Each kit is prepared by hand and is a treat to open, so I promise it’ll be worth the wait!
For kit options and to make your purchase, first select where you would like your kit posting to:
Coptic Binding Video Tutorial
Below is a list of tools and materials you will need to make the Coptic bound book in my video tutorial. It is up to you what size you make your book – the page size will determine the size of paper, card and length of thread you use. This is explained in a PDF that will be sent upon purchasing.
– Bone folder / folding tool
– Scissors / rotary cutter / craft knife
– Bulldog clips
– Thick card (greyboard/mountboard) 2-5mm thick for front and back cover
– Bookbinding thread / embroidery thread and beeswax
– Curved bookbinding needle
– UHU glue / PVA
– Decorative paper i.e. old maps, wrapping paper, wallpaper samples etc.
– Cork tile / old magazine
– Cutting mat / chopping board
– Plain paper: for A6 portrait Coptic Book – 24 sheets of 170gsm or similar in your preferred size
Coptic Binding – online tutorial
Access to online tutorials sent withing 24 hours of purchase.