I share how to make 3 of my favourite bookbinding techniques – an Accordion Fold book, Japanese Stab Bound Book and an Exposed Long Stitch leather or pleather journal.
Either buy the kit and tutorials, which comes with all the tools, instruction and materials you need to make 3 books (plus a teabag and biscuits to fuel your creativity) or, if you already have the tools/materials to hand, buy the video tutorial on it’s own. Scroll down to see what’s included and place your order.
Sketchbook Selection Kit & Tutorials
The kit comes with all materials and tools needed to make three books, including:
- Flat White paper in a range of sizes, made from recycled coffee cups, great for watercolour, sketching and general note taking
- A selection of decorative papers, including, old maps, wallpaper samples, patterned papers and envelope cuttings
- a selection of white and coloured threads to bind your book
- All the tools you need to continue your bookbinding journey (it’s an addictive craft!)
Upon purchasing a kit you will be sent exclusive access to an online video tutorial taking you step-by-step through the making process. This includes a bonus bonus video downloadable document which includes links to recommended suppliers, advice on sourcing tools and materials and information on how to scale up and down to make books of different sizes with the same bindings.
Update – please read before making a purchase: I am currently doing a restock of my self-paced kits. This means you can still order but your kit will not be posted until the 17 June, this is partly due to a hold up with my usual paper supplier. I will be in touch to confirm your order and again when your kit is in the post. Each kit is prepared by hand and is a treat to open, so I promise it’ll be worth the wait!
Sketchbook Selection – materials / tool kit – UK postage
Kit includes all the paper, bookbinding tools, thread and leather you need to make three books. And links to comprehensive step by step video tutorials. *Pleather available upon request.
The Sketchbook Selection – materials kit, no tools – UK postage
A good option if you already have the following tools – awl, ruler, pencil, bookbinding needle, bonefolder, clips. All other materials you need to make your books included. And links to comprehensive step by step video tutorials. *Pleather available upon request.
Sketchbook Selection tutorials only
Below is a list of tools and materials you will need to make an – A6 Exposed Long Stitch Journal, A5 Japanese Stab Bound Book, A7 Accordion Fold Book, as demonstrated in my video tutorials. If you already have most of these to hand, and/or are based outwith the UK, this may be a good option for you.
What you need:
– Bone folder
– Awl / Japanese Screw Punch
– Scissors / rotary cutter
– Bulldog clips
– Leather / pleather for cover – 34cm x 15.5cm
– Waxed bookbinding thread / embroidery thread and beeswax
– Bookbinding needle
– Cork tile / old magazine
– Cutting mat / chopping board
– Plain paper: for Exposed Long Stitch Journal – 24 sheets of A5 170gsm or similar / for Accordion Book – 1 sheet of A3 170gsm or similar, plus 1 sheet of A4 cut in half longways / for Japanese Stab Book – 10 sheets of A5 170gsm or similar
– Decorative papers i.e. old maps, wrapping paper, patterned paper etc.
Sketchbook Selection online tutorials